How to get Hungarian citizenship by descent

Last updated: September 20, 2020
Dateline: Budapest, Hungary

Budapest, the capital of Hungary, has some of the most gorgeous architecture in Europe, even if its awe-striking landmark building (pictured above) is filled with one of the most radical parliaments in the entire world.

Tree-lined streets with quaint shops and all sorts of exciting restaurants are easy to find in the city center.

We would certainly recommend checking out Budapest as a great city to live in (rather affordably too) as a Nomad Capitalist.

But if you’re so smitten with Hungary that you want to obtain its citizenship, then this article is for you.

We’ll get into the full detail of the fastest option for obtaining a Hungarian passport – through your descent.

Do you have Hungarian ancestors? You could stand to gain a European passport just because of that.

And if you don’t want to bother with all of the paperwork yourself, we recently started offering a service that helps people claim their Hungarian citizenship by descent.

We’ll help you confirm eligibility, collect documents (from your country and from Hungary), deal with the bureaucracy, and file for citizenship alongside our trusted lawyers and agents on the ground.

You can learn more about our premium citizenship by descent service here.

Hungary’s Citizenship by Descent – The Basics

We have spoken before about the so-called “Lucky Sperm Club” – people whose family tree entitles them to a fast, cheap, and relatively easy citizenship by descent.

Numerous countries throughout Europe allow those with a bloodline tracing back to the continent to apply for second citizenship just by filling out paperwork and paying a fee.

However, this paperwork can be endless and the process highly bureaucratic. Luckily, you don’t have to do it yourself if you don’t want to.

Considering that European residency – not citizenship – would cost 50-60,000 euros in unrecoverable fees, paying a couple of thousand to a professional team, such as the Nomad Capitalist one, to get instant citizenship is dirt cheap.

And one citizenship by descent that almost no one talks about is the Hungarian one.

Similar to Italy’s citizenship by descent program, there is technically no limit on how far back into your family tree you can go to find a Hungarian ancestor.

That’s really interesting.

For example, someone with the last name Almasy –one of the most common Hungarian last names – would almost certainly be able to obtain Hungarian citizenship.

The difference between Italy’s program and the citizenship program in Hungary is that Italian ancestry can only be claimed so far back as Italy existed in its current state.

Yet, in Hungary, if you can establish a paper trail that connected each generation to the next, and then all the way to you, you’d be eligible to apply.

Finally, you should note that Hungary allows dual citizenship – that’s great news if you want to add Hungarian citizenship to your passport portfolio.

The Process of Applying for Hungarian Citizenship

First, you should establish if you’re even eligible to apply, even though Hungary has made it quite easy for its descendants to qualify.

You can apply on the basis of your parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, or even further generations, being Hungarian.

The important bit is to consider whether the ancestor in question was a citizen at the time that the person applying for citizenship was born.

Luckily, it’s pretty easy as Hungary follows the jus sanguinis citizenship law. This means that children of Hungarian citizens become Hungarian citizens by birth, no matter where they are a born.

That should make it quite simple to determine if one of your ancestors makes you eligible for a Hungarian passport.

That said, there are a few notable exceptions when Hungarians could’ve lost their citizenship in the past:

• Hungarian citizens who left the country before 1929 and stayed abroad for a period of 10 years or longer, lost their citizenship.
  •  Before October 1, 1957, Hungarian women lost their citizenship if they married non-Hungarian citizens.
  • Before October 1, 1957, children born to a non-Hungarian father and a Hungarian mother did not automatically get Hungarian citizenship by birth. The person may have become a Hungarian citizen by a statement, but his/her descendants then had to be naturalized.
  • And, if the ancestor in question left Hungary before September 1, 1929, it is highly likely that his/her descendants were not born Hungarian citizens.

Once you determine that you’re eligible to apply, the process of actually doing so is rather paperwork-heavy.

You will need to fill out an application form in Hungarian (an aid in English is available) – this is the easy bit.

Then, you will need to present the following documents:

• Your birth certificate.
  • Your parents’ marriage certificate.
  • The birth certificates of the relevant parent(s), grandparent(s), or great-granparent(s).
  • Any other relevant official Hungarian documentation, e.g. old passports, civil or military records, ID booklets, and the like.

It’s key to establish a paper trail that would document your connection to the country.

Then, once all of the documents have been put together, you can apply for your Hungarian citizenship at your nearest Hungarian Consulate.

You must apply in person.

And the really good news? It all costs just over $100 to apply and get your Hungarian citizenship.

Should You Get Hungarian Citizenship by Descent?

All in all, Hungary can be a great country to get a second citizenship in, even if your ancestors have lived in your home country for the last few generations.

With situation-based exceptions in Lithuania and Latvia, it’s rare to see a citizenship by descent program be so generous in its timeline.

Plus, the cost of obtaining Hungarian citizenship this way – or any other European Union citizenship for that matter – is incredibly affordable when you consider the true value of an EU passport

For starters, having EU citizenship entitles you to travel virtually anywhere in the world.

In many cases, it is better than US citizenship, even before you consider the freedom of movement to live and work anywhere in the EU.

The one issue we see with Hungary is that they had imposed citizenship-based taxation in the past. Unlike the United States, however, the provision did not apply to dual national Hungarian citizens who lived outside of Hungary.

There is no saying they won’t change that, but for the timebeing, Hungarian citizenship is a great deal. And, there is an easy way to renounce this citizenship if you find that it’s no longer working in your favor.

So, if you think you have Hungarian ancestry and are prepared to make a small investment to start the citizenship process, you can contact us and we’ll see how we can help.

Last updated: Sep 20, 2020 at 3:59PM

1. PeacefulLife

Great post! I submitted my docs through an Embassy in Asia as my grandparents were born in the “Kingdom of Hungary” (pre-1918). Present day Slovakia. Slovakia is next to impossible to get citizenship even when your mother is a citizen!!! I have tried painfully for 5 years yet if you were born between 1949-1969, you are taking the sloooooow boat. I even did my residency there for the required 2 years and the path by naturalization is HELL. Back to Hungary, I did apply and was refused 18 months ago. I had flawless paperwork, ALL docs and even Hungarian baptism and land papers. The problem is they want you to speak VERY WELL in Hungarian. The Embassy staff thought that was the reason why I didn’t get it…
    So, I will apply in Canada (at the Hungarian Consulate) this summer and be ready with my language terms. I think in the early days after PM Orban started this simplified naturalization that so many (over 500,000 people) we granted citizenship. I will try again as it does state I should do so on my rejection letter.
    Have ALL your papers in order and they can refuse you immediately if you don’t speak Hungarian. This is a major requirement. I thought of going the lawyer way but now even Embassies are saying you come alone with no third party assistance as some Ukrainians and Romanians apparently abused the whole process in the early days. Will let you know!

2. PeacefulLife

One correction, Andrew. “These cases usually take six months to two years to process, depending on the country and your particular circumstances.” — there were rules passed that ALL applications must be processed with a yes or no answer within 3 months of submission.

• Omar Kaaki

How can I know if my application is yes or no after 3 month of submission. I already passed my language interview. Thank you for your help

• PeacefulLife

Wait 9 months.

3. PeacefulLife

Here is an update. The laws regarding language have become “more difficult”. I have made contacts with a few Embassies and can report the following:

“For detailed information please visit http://www.allampolgarsag.gov.hu and please read the following instructions carefully:
    We would like to draw your attention to the fact that when applying for
    Hungarian citizenship in the simplified naturalization procedure, one of
    the basic legal requirements is to understand and communicate in
    Hungarian language on a sufficient level, to be able to present the
    application for naturalization independently, without external
    assistance, and to answer the questions asked by the officer
    independently. In case your command of Hungarian
    language does not reach the sufficient level, you can’t expect a
    positive decision.

Every case is different so the consul will let you know at your consultation
    with him what kind of documents you have to obtain. The original birth
    and marriage certificates are always required.

All the forms are in Hungarian and you have to be able to fill them out.
    The simplified naturalization application is free of charge.
    This application process takes approximately a year or more.”

• Savannah

If you can prove Hungarian descent, you don’t have to speak the Hungarian language.

The citizenship application forms are in Hungarian and were just changed recently (as the govt updates them every so often) so they don’t yet have any translated in English. They can be translated for very reasonable price. Google Hungarian translator and the one that comes up in Cleveland is a translator who does this all the time & is very familiar with the documents.

• Catherine Hoffmann

Actually it is not necessary to speak hungarian, some knowledge does help though. As a descendant, most kids speak english. So hence the simplified version is available. I am downloading them for my adult children. Their websites are not very user friendly i must say!

• PeacefulLife

By descent and simplified nat process are NOT the same requirements.

4. Christine Rose

Thank you so much for this post! I’m going to Budapest in 3 weeks for a month to pursue this, as well as take a survival Hungarian language course.

I have contacted several immigration lawyers, but no one has gotten back to me. Can you recommend one? I would be very grateful if you could.

• Cathy Barzo

I thought the language requirement was for naturalization. I’m reading it that you can still apply for citizenship based on ancestry (parent or grandparent). I plan to apply based on my Dad being born in Hungary and lived there for 2 years before emigrating to Canada.

• PeacefulLife

Language is ONLY for simp nat and not regular citz by descent.
        As long as your dad was a recognized citizen of Hungary at some time. To Christine – there are no lawyers for this. It takes time but I did it. Call, dig, ask, research and ask more questions.

• Troy Dawson

My mother was born in what is now Hungary in 1943 but as she was a Jew in a concentration camp the pro-Nazi government didn’t recognise her as a citizen at the time. Does this mean though that she could be a Hungarian citizen under current rules and I could claim citizenship by descent?

5. Redlyn Parker

Hello, Im glad I found this page and would like to get clear on the language requirement. Is it true that you need to speak sufficient Hungarian to apply for Naturalisation? what is the case for citizenship? I don’
    t speak Hungarian very well at all, my father was born there and I am going over in 3 months and would like to know what my chances are for applying for a passport.
    many thanks.

• PeacefulLife

B1 level and it sounds like you are near that level.

• Savannah

If your father is a Hungarian citizen, you can get citizenship through descent. In that case, there is no language requirement.

• Jeannette

You’re wrong. My husband was born in Hungary, left as a youth during the 1956 uprising with his parents to the USA plus proved his citizenship back to 1886 (You read that correctly). Because of intricate Hungarian laws with mother vs fathers ancestry and/or which war they lost etc., you will still be required to speak the language. Be prepared and forget the short cuts, it will save you time in the long run.

6. Carmen

I will be receiving citizenship via ancestry – I applied in Canada, all the forms were in Hungarian, but I did not need to speak the language in order to apply. I I just used Google Translate for the forms. I am very lucky, the application process was EXTREMELY easy, and cost me nothing. My cousin had already applied for citizenship from the same Grandparent, so they used a lot of his forms. I just needed my birth certificate and my parents marriage license. After reading these comments, I am happy I applied in Canada, I am sure it would be more difficult doing it from Germany, which is where I am living now.

• Steve Erl

hi, how long did this all take? i am canadian and have proof that my grandparents are from hungary. I am currently living in Spain under a 2 year Spanish entrepreneur visa, but plan to go home to Canada and start the process for getting this Hungarian one. How long did it take? And there was no requirement for Hungarian speaking?

• Gyongyi

Hi my parents were from Hungary came to Canada in 1956 both are deceased I’m frustrated I don’t understand the application form it’s in hungarian… I speak but don’t read it… Do you have copy of the English translation that perhaps you can post. Thank you Gyongyi

• Leo

Hey Carmen,
      may I ask in which city you had the interview? How did you learn Hungarian? (Do you remember some of the questions?)
      I’m a little bit scared, because my Hungarian is not so good.
      Kind regards
      Leo

7. Brian MÜ

I did my Hungarian oath a month ago. What a beautiful experience. I’m so proud to be a Hungarian citizen.
    I studied everyday in Budapest for 6-8 hours a day for over 4 months.
    I achieved my B1 level and love the language as well as Budapest and the people are very very kind.
    Paper submission to positive result was 9 months. With oath it took 1 year total. I love the country and very proud to shine with my new citizenship.
    Study. Respect. Love the land and my fellow Hungarians. Day of oath I received my ID card and certificate and passport takes 3 weeks max.
    Büszke magyar lettem!

8. PeacefulLife

I studied everyday in Budapest for 6-8 hours a day for over 4 months.
    Büszke magyar lettem!

• Anon

Congrats on your new citizenship 🙂

If you don’t mind me asking- did you do the regular or the simplified proccess?

Which documents did you need?

• PeacefulLife

Simplified and applied twice. Second time I really studied a lot. 8 hour days in Budapest with 4 different teachers for 3-4 months. You must master B1 level in Hungarian. Documents are all online regarding what you need. It all depends on where and when your grandparent was born. Start from there.

• Sarah Rozsnafszky Langer

My father was born in Hungary and emigrated to the United States after the 56 revolution. I would like to become an official citizen. Is my path different from yours because of this? Do I just need to fill out the application and provide his and my certified birth certificates?

• PeacefulLife

Yup. Easy street for you.

• soar

Yea my mom is the same as your dad. She was born in Hungary but came to Canada during the revolution. So what do you think I would have to do? I’d love an EU citizenship.

• Veni Vidi Vici

Interesting I am certain that both my great grand parents on my fathers side were born in Hungary and possibly my grandmother but I don’t have a
      Hungarian last name.
      Definitely going when I return to USA in December. Any advice would be greatly appreciated…

• PeacefulLife

Papers in order first. Go to consulate. If you are in fact accepted you can then start studying the language. Full-time 3 months studying @ 8 hours a day will get you B1 level. Questions are so random that you will never know for sure what to prepare.

• jhrusky

I can only find the document to fill out in Hungarian. Are there any English translated versions you are aware of? Thank you.

• Andrew

I don’t have a Hungarian name, but I’m not against changing it, especially on a Hungarian passport.
        Where I live, I basically sent the consulate my docs every step of the way. They told me how to handle the hardest part: What to do with modern-day Slovak birth certificate, in respect to the Hungarian program.
        I plan on scheduling my interview when I am a strong B2. I’ve already done an intensive course in Hungary, but I still have a ways to go. Even if I’m approved, I plan on continuing until I can speak Hungarian like my L1 and L2. It is a big part of us, after all.

• Andrew

Congrats on being Hungarian! Hopefully I’ll be with you there in a few months. The language is hard because it’s different, but it’s a real pleasure to study.

9. ojb

Hi all,

I’m an Australian looking to apply for Hungarian citizenship via ancestry. My Grandfather was born in Hungary and moved to Australia after the war. I have all of his documents, (birth certificate, military ID, passport, etc), but I don’t have access to his marriage certificate. I contacted the consulate in Canberra and they’re telling me I need the marriage certificate, but I’m reading accounts from people saying they were able to get citizenship just by showing the ancestral lineage with birth certificates.

Does anyone know whether they actually need the grandparent’s marriage certificate??

• PeacefulLife

I did show my grandparents’ marriage cert as well. Translated into Hungarian. This is the only way they can trace you to your grandparents via your one parent.

• ojb

My mother took my Grandfather’s surname, and he appears on her birth certificate. I can see how it would be necessary if it was my grandmother that was Hungarian, but I surely they would be able to determine the lineage without the marriage certificate given it’s my grandfather?

• PeacefulLife

You will need a copy of grandparents marriage cert to show that was your mother/fathers parent and therefore the “one main relative” that was at once a Hungarian citizen.

• Margie

I’m an Australian and both my parents were born in Hungary and they now reside permanently in Australia. My son who was born in Australia has recently applied for his Hungarian Passport /Citizenship. We went to Brisbane to apply for his passport/citizenship which was a relatively easy process and the Hungarian Consulate people were very helpful.
          As I have never been married and therefore could not provide a marriage certificate they required both parents to be present on the day of my son applying. I also took my father along who had all his relevant papers with him ie his birth certificate, my mother’s birth certificate, my parents marriage certificate etc.
          Apparently it can take up to one year to receive the passport but a wait my son is willing and excited to wait for.
          If you need any further information just let us know.

• Marlena Toth

Hi Margie,

I am also doing the same in Brisbane for my self as my grandfather is Hungarian. I have his Birth and Marriage cert and also my father’s Birth and Marriage cert. Are there any other things I will need? Does your son speak the language and will I need to? And may I ask how much it is costing his approximately? Thanks!

• antal kovacs

hi there
            I also have put my application in in Brisbane for duel passport.

was in novemeber last year I have been waiting over 5 months now and havnt heard anything.. is this normal to wait this long I have heard about a year..
            is there any way of knowing how the process is doin or when the passport may be issued as I want to travel to Europe and not on a tourist visa..
            it make my life harder to sit around waiting for a passort instead of traveleing free threw Europe I have partner in Sweden wating for me to come and this process is so hard ..
            what do I do travel on the tourist and hope the Hungarian passort is issued or wait in Australia until the passort is issued
            I

10. Michelle

I’m currently looking into citizenship by descent. My great grandparents came to Canada in the early 1900s just pre-WWI, and the only documentation I have for sure that I can get on them is when my great-grandfather was returning from serving in the war. My great-grandmother would have already been in the country, and her maiden name was Matyas (which is Hungarian). I don’t have any other reliable paperwork than my great-grandfather’s paperwork which lists him as being from the Austro-Hungarian empire, but he has a polish name. Do you think there is a way I can use this information to obtain citizenship? I speak Hungarian at a low intermediate level, and have a friend who will be able to teach me better, so I’m not concerned about the language component.

• PeacefulLife

Start with their local parish near their hometown. They have the baptism record there in Hungarian/Latin. This is your first step. You will need to keep the chain of paperwork going to show your relationship to that grand/great nagypapa.

• Catherine Hoffmann

Im in canada as well! I did it. Get the simplified version in english, either on line or through Ottawa embassy. it is a lot of paperwork!

11. PeacefulLife

I reality they say a descendant but don’t like to go further than your grandparent due to the fact this law was for the majority of Hungarians and their descendants post-Trianon that lost their citizenship.

12. PeacefulLife

Austro-Hun empire = simp nat and therefore I would check all docs first before learning the language. It’s a beautiful language but a real challenge. The MOI may only allow back to grandparent but if you have the docs…you can try.

13. Veni Vidi Vici

Probably be easier if your last name is Mohammed

14. Savannah

You can try to get citizenship through descent, which has no language requirement, if they were citizens of the current Hungarian state. If they were citizens in lands that are no longer part of Hungary, you may have to go through the simplified naturalization which has a basic language requirement. (Some have said it depends on the interviewer, that some may not require as much sufficiency)

15. Catherine Hoffmann

This was a nice positive article. i just received a few months ago my Hungarian citizenship/passport by descent. Hungary needs to encourage youth to keep their valued roots. sadly though there is a lot of not so good propaganda that is sad and ruining Hungary’s image abroad. (anti semitism etc). Its is a very rich culture that I am happy to be proud of. I didn’t grow up in Hungary, as many who left after WW2 and Revolution left. I was born in Canada and then lived most of my adult life in Portugal. Passing on our culture is so valuable for a small country.

• Janelle

Hello Catherine,
      I am trying to get dual citizenship by descent also. It is very unclear if you do or do not need to speak Hungarian proficiently. Did you have to have an oral test for citizenship by descent?

Janelle

• Tom

There is no language requirement for citizenship by descent, but the forms must be submitted in Hungarian. The forms are posted in both Hungarian and English on the web site of the Hungarian embassy in London. The English version assists applicants but cannot be filed.

• antal kovacs

how long does the process take ..im in Australia and have put application in 6 months ago..

16. Edgar Vera

Hello. My father’s mother (my grandmother) was Hungarian, but she did not marry my grandfather. Can I apply for the Hungarian citizenship?

17. Ashputtel Cendrillon

Hi Forest,
    I have the same question. I’ve traced my family history back to the first Hungarian kings, and the last Hungarian-born ancestor I know of is Violante of Hungary (born 1215). I can name every ancestor between her and me, so would this be acceptable? I don’t know if I’d be able to get all the documents – but honestly, all this information is online and in books. Have you tried applying through this line? I hope they won’t think it’s ridiculous, but as far as I know, they don’t address this situation in their laws.
    Thanks, and let me know.

18. Harmony

I always knew my grandfather was born in Romania, but through a conversation with my grandma I found out that his mother was born in Austria-Hungry and his father in Poland. I don’t know what documents we have left from his family but my grandma said she can look to see if she can find any documentation. I am currently residing the United States. If I wish to obtain an EU passport and possibly move to Europe in the future, which country would be the safest bet to apply for? I heard the Hungarian passport is the best one, is it safe to say I will be neutralized if I apply (yes, I know it will take time)?
    Also, what are the most legit documents to show? I am not sure how much was saved after all those years.
    And one last question, If I do get an EU passport through decent will my husband get it right away as well or will he need to apply through me later on?

19. Ehab Samir

will finish my 8 years of holding a permanent residency card , suppose to apply for a citizenship but i dont speak the Hungarian language at all ! any updates about this ?

20. Ryan Reynolds

So my Grandmother was born in Austria-Hungary close to the border of current day Czech Republic and Slovakia. The issue is that she was born on the Czech side that was the Austrian part of Austria-Hungary 30 km from the Hungarian border. Does anyone know if this will work for getting Hungarian citizenship? The consulate in New York said it was fine but the translator isn’t sure.

21. Robert Nagy

Parents were both born in Budapest, I was born in Connecticut after they deflected Hungary and came to the US. My mother was still a Hungarian citizen when I was born. I feel like from what I’ve read that I should be able to apply for Hungarian Citizenship due to the fact that both my parents were born in Hungary and my mother was still a Hungarian citizen upon my birth. I have tried to contact the consulate that services my state but I cannot get through, the number is consistently busy. Does anyone know where I can find the forms to start applying for the process of citizenship?

22. Canuck

Hello All. My mother has just got her Hungarian passport through sim. naturalization (her dad-my grandfather was Hungarian), so as of couple months ago she is officially Hungarian citizen. Right now I am living in Canada. So my question would be: can I apply for Hungarian citizenship through descent program (and save myself from learning Hungarian right now) or I will have to go through sim. naturalization as well?
    Thanks in advance!

23. Rob Juhasz

I’m in Canada right now, Kingston Ontario. I truly love my Hungarian lineage and have always felt a calling from Hungary. I would love to retire there. Where is the best place from where I could start this process? My father is Hungarian from Alsónémedi.

24. steve

hi
    both my parents and grandparents are from Hungary, i can almost understand everything in Hungarian can speak ok and after visiting Hungary for the first time im in love..would love to become a citizen..what are my chances..and more impotantly what are the chances for my wife and children

25. Kristine Clark

3 out of my 4 grandparents were born in Hungary. Where would I start my journey to see if citizenship is a possibility. Thank you!

26. Edward Bako

My father left Hungary for the USA in 1956. I was born in the USA, but my father was still an Hungarian citizen when I was born. My mother is half Hungarian. I only speak a little Hungarian. I live in Alaska now, and am not really close to an embassy. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I might get started obtaining citizenship?

• Cindy

I was told to email the closest honorary consulate. The one in Los Angeles is probably your official consulate for the Alaska region. Once you file, I was told you have to do an interview at one of the 4 main consulate locations in the US. But I’m just at the beginning of my journey to try and obtain citizenship.

27. sawan

I am just 16 years old
    Could anyone tell
    I am eligible for
    Hungary citizenship
    ?????

28. Miriam

My grandfather was a Hungarian of Jewish ethnicity and left Hungary pre-WWII. We do not have copies of his birth certificate; where should I start looking? He was born in 1911.

• Tom

The Mormon genealogy online database has free, searchable records from Hungary. I was able to find official birth records of ancestors from 1909.

• Tom

Hungarian birth records from that era also show the occupations, home address, and religious affiliation of the parents. That information may be helpful if you have a common surname.

29. Júli

Can I apply for a Hungarian citizenship if I was born there and lived for 10 years? My parents lived in Hungary for twenty years but they did not have Hungarian citizenship as they had moved there as children after the Greek Civil war. I can speak the language but I was told I need to have blood origin to be entitled to citizenship. Any ideas?

30. ATn

My wife (US citizen) enquired about this. Her great grandmother was born in Hungary in the 19th century, but later moved to Germany in about 1900. The consulate indicated that since her great grandmother had left Hungary that citizenship through descent per se would not be possible, but simplified naturalisation would be possible, but that my wife would then need to speak Hungarian.

31. Ervin

Hi,
    My maternal grandmother was born in the USA to Hungarian born parents..my great grandparents that left Hungary in the early 1900’s and moved to the USA. My grandmothers siblings were also all born in Hungary. I have baptism and marriage records of my great grandparents. I unfortunately don’t speak Magyar yet but will be working on it. I really want to apply for dual citizenship to Hungary due to my ancestry/heritage so that I can move there in my retirement one day. I have cousins living in Budapest and Debrecen. I hope that it is possible to do this.

32. Adrienne

Hello, I was born in Budapest and my parents and I moved to USA in 1957 when I was 3years old. I would like to get Hungarian citizenship through birth and ancestry, as both of my parents were also Hungarian. Please advise what is the best and fastest route for me. I am planning a short trip to Budapest in November for one week. I speak Hungarian fluently so how can I get citizenship whilst i am visiting there?

Thank you.

• Tom

Assuming you are Hungarian by birth, register as a Hungarian citizen living abroad and Hungary will issue you an identity card. Get a copy of your birth certificate. Take both the birth certificate and the identity card to the passport office in Budapest. Passport can be available the next day for an additional expediting fee.

33. Rob

My father was born in Hungary in 1921 while his parents had returned to Hungary for a visit. His parents (my grandparents) were also both born in Hungary as were their parents/grandparents, etc. Both my grandparents had already obtained US citizenship, so my father was naturalized as a US citizen. On my mother’s side, while she was born in the US, both of her parents (my other set of grandparents) were also born Hungarian. I have US census evidence from 1930 and 1940 showing all this to be the case and have copy of my parents marriage license showing my father’s birthplace as Hungary. And of course my own birth certificate showing I am their child. My grandparents emigrated to the US in the early 1920s (or maybe 1910s for some). For y’alls experience, does this sound like sufficient evidence for a citizenship by descent?

34. sophie endrey

Hi there! I would love your lawyers contact, if possible? Both my Grand p’s were born in Hungary and I am dying for citizenship asap

thanks!

Sophie Endrey (hungarian last name 😉

• Jacob

Hi are you dom’s sister?!

35. Antal

Put my application in for duel passport with Hungary and Australia been 6 months and no word.
    I can travel to Hungary on 90 day tourist visa.
    I like to know how long the application will take and is there anyway of finding out how is standing. I love to go to Europe travel and but I need the passport. What should I do wait for passport or leave on tourist visa and email Hungarian naturalization section and ask them what’s is happening
    Antal kovacs

36. Tom

Here is my experience with timing. An application for citizenship by descent was submitted to the London Embassy in January 2016. Budapest notified the Embassy of approval in April 2017. Passport obtained in Budapest in August 2017.

37. Conrad

I’m new here, so please forgive me if I ask questions that have been answered before or are dumb for other reasons.

First, a bit of background: I just discovered that my maternal grandfather was born in Hungary in 1875 and that all four great-grandparents on my mother’s side, who were Jewish, were born in Hungary. My grandmother’s parents were from the Szabolcs-Bereg area and may have been married in Hungary (they and everyone else I refer to ended up eventually in the U.S.). I suspect they were married in Hungary because they both came to America in 1883.

As for my mother’s father and his ancestors, I have no idea what part of Hungary they were from, but, according to U.S. Census records, he spoke German as his first language.

I would like to obtain Hungarian citizenship by simplified naturalization, and I have the following questions:

Is there a particular part of pre-1920 Hungary where German was the dominant language, so that I can narrow down where my mother’s father was from?

I haven’t had any success in my initial attempt to locate Hungarian records for anyone. Is it probable that they don’t exist at all, or just that they’re not online?

Can anyone recommend some genealogy specialists, especially in pre-1895 Jewish records, that I might be able to hire to seek out records, at least of my grandmother’s parents in and around Szabolcs and Bereg?

Is the immigration process more likely to be successful if I hire a lawyer who specializes in this sort of thing?

I’m dreading the language requirement. It’s not that I don’t want to learn Hungarian. It’s just that it’s such a strange language, and I have a feeling it would be easier for me to learn advanced Klingon. I have several questions related to the language requirement:

Is it easier to go through the interview in Hungary or at a foreign consulate?

If the examiner determines that my Hungarian isn’t good enough, can I apply again, either at the same office or a different one?

If I spent six months in Hungary, would I be likely to learn enough?

How easy would it be to get a visa to study Hungarian in Hungary? As an American, I can only be there for three months otherwise.

I didn’t realize I was going to take up so much space, so thanks again for putting up with all my questions.

38. Brigette

Hi,

Thank you for this post,it was very interesting.

I am trying to see if I can assist my father and if possible myself in applying for this passport, my dads mom was born in Hungary. We don’t speak the language at all though.

Please could you assist us?

Thank you.

39. Ervin

Hi, I am also trying to go through the process. My maternal great grandparents left the Szabolcs megye area in the early 1900’s with their 1st 4 children that were also born there and moved to Pennsylvania where my grandmother was born. Through the years I have been able to obtain documents with the help of a genealogist and by the help of the church in Ramocsahaza where they were born. The pastor of the church was able to write and certify a letter containing my great grandparents births and marriage info. Through DNA testing and having family trees I have found cousins in Hungary that are related to me on each side of my great grandparents ancestry lines. I was able to fly there for 3 weeks last September and meet cousins in Budapest and Debrecen. I was also able to visit Ramocsahaza and attend church service with my cousins. It was a great honor. While staying in Debrecen I was able to get most of my documents translated from English to Hungarian at a local OFFI office. The problem is that I don’t know enough Hungarian to pass the interview. I know a few words that my late mom taught me while growing up. Ideally I would love to be able to go back to Hungary and stay for at least 6 months and just immerse myself in learning so that I can apply and pass the interview. Good luck to everyone still trying.